Hollywood, CA (December 21st, 2007) –The four honorees for the 2007 Jim Henson Honors were announced today by Brian Henson and Lisa Henson, co-CEOs of The Jim Henson Company. The annual program, established in 2005, acknowledges organizations, individuals or products that reflect the core values and philosophy of Jim Henson and the company he founded.
The 2007 Jim Henson Honorees:
- The Jim Henson Celebration Honor – Richard Branson, British Entrepreneur
- The Jim Henson Community Honor – Etsy, Online Marketplace for All Things Handmade
- The Jim Henson Creativity Honor – Neil Gaiman, Writer
- The Jim Henson Technology Honor – REAL D 3D, 3D Experience Pro
The artists and staff at The Jim Henson Company nominate recipients who are inspiring, maintain core values consistent with those of the Company, and of course, reflect Jim Henson’s commitment to excellence in creativity and innovation.
Brian Henson said, “We have all been so inspired by the outstanding work of this year’s honorees. Etsy, Neil and Real D have given their respective audiences unique and wonderful opportunities to share in their work. And Richard Branson – particularly with his participation in founding The Elders – continues to demonstrate the endless possibilities and hope that come with embracing diversity and cooperation.
Lisa Henson said, “Each of this year’s recipients embodies creativity in an exciting way: uniting a community, exploring expression in a multitude of media, providing an exciting way to experience entertainment, and providing tools for real change in the world around us. This type of thinking is at the core of the company my father founded and we are thrilled to celebrate these like-minded honorees.”
About the 2007 Honors and Recipients:
- The Jim Henson Celebration Honor – Richard Branson, British Entrepreneur The highest honor goes to an individual, organization or product that makes the world a better place by inspiring people to celebrate life. Mr. Branson has lived a life filled with bold undertakings like private space travel, but we were most inspired by how he has applied this powerful entrepreneurial thinking to making the world a better place through his support of The Elders, a group of world leaders who contribute their wisdom, independent leadership and integrity to tackling some of the world’s toughest problems.
- The Jim Henson Community Honor – Etsy, Online Marketplace for All Things Handmade The Community Honor acknowledges an individual, organization or product who/which has increased goodwill or made a positive impact in a specific community or around the world. Etsy provides a worldwide community that enables people to make a living making things, celebrating and appreciating the art of all things handmade and connecting these artists with buyers.
- The Jim Henson Creativity Honor – Neil Gaiman, Writer The Creativity Honor acknowledges a new creative voice or unique expression of an idea. Neil Gaiman’s prolific career includes writing for all audiences and in myriad forms including prose, poetry, film, journalism, comics, song lyrics, and drama. His ongoing projects, often in collaboration with other artists, continuously demonstrate that creativity can be expressed and appreciated in a variety of media.
- The Jim Henson Technology Honor – REAL D 3D, Global 3D Experience Provider The Technology Honor acknowledges an individual, organization or product who/which demonstrates ground-breaking technology in a creative way. REAL D 3D is making 3D experiences part of everyday life by establishing its technology in movie theatres, public places, businesses, and homes. The potential of their work creates new opportunities for filmmakers to tell their stories in unique and creative ways.
About The Jim Henson Company…
The Jim Henson Company has remained an established leader in family entertainment for over 50 years and is recognized worldwide as an innovator in puppetry, animatronics and computer graphics. Best known as creators of the world famous Muppets (the rights to which are now owned by The Walt Disney Company), Henson is the recipient of over 50 Emmy Awards and nine Grammy Awards. Credits include the Saturn Award-winning “Farscape” and the features “MirrorMask,” “Five Children and It” and “Good Boy!”. With additional locations in New York and London, The Jim Henson Company is headquartered in Los Angeles on the historic Charlie Chaplin lot complete with soundstage and post-production facilities. Independently owned and operated by the five adult children of founder Jim Henson, the Company is also home to Jim Henson’s Creature Shop™, a pre-eminent character-building and visual effects group with international film, television and advertising clients, as well as Henson Recording Studios, one of the music industry’s top recording facilities known for its world-class blend of state of the art and vintage equipment. The Company is currently in production on “Sid the Science Kid,” a new science readiness animated series for preschoolers scheduled to debut on PBS in September 2008, and recently launched “Puppet Up! – Uncensored,” a live puppet improvisational show that has played to sold out crowds around the world and premiered as a special on TBS. The Company has also announced the creation of Jim Henson Designs, a merchandise collection inspired by Jim Henson’s earliest sketches. www.henson.com
FOR PHOTOS AND ADDITIONAL INFO, VISIT http://digital.ihenson.com/jimhensonhonors2007/