Coordinator, Marketing & Visual Communications
Department: Marketing / Publicity
Reports To: Executive Vice President, Marketing/PR & Education Initiatives,The Jim Henson Company
Posted: October, 2018
The Jim Henson Company – a premier provider of family entertainment for over 60 years – is seeking to fill its Coordinator, Marketing & Visual Communications position. This full-time position provides executive and administrative support for the Executive Vice President of Marketing/PR and assists the Department with special projects including the Company’s worldwide marketing, communications, social media and publicity outreach. This person will also coordinate the visual communications projects of the Company (including print and online graphics, digital, and audio visual), liaising with all Company divisions in the design, layout and production of pitch materials, business to business communications, and public-facing elements.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Directly assist EVP of Marketing/PR in all department organizational and administrative matters including heavy office duties, phone traffic, scheduling, department contacts, ordering supplies, filing, mailings, and managing daily calendar.
- Handle all travel arrangements for talent and department executives including budgets, itineraries, and meetings.
- Process invoices for department, confirm rebilling, ensure that all vendors are paid accurately and on time.
- Submit and monitor expenses for EVP Marketing, and any departmental out-of-pocket charges.
- Coordinate walkaround character appearances – booking, invoicing, maintenance, station relations.
- Monitor press clippings and press releases and circulate to appropriate executives.
- Collect departmental approval/notes for partner campaigns and licensee products.
- Recruit and manage the department’s interns.
- Support social media efforts around launches and “all hands on deck” moments.
- Communicate fan mail responses.
- Organize meeting agendas; prepare and distribute meeting materials (presentations, clips, one sheets, images).
- Take and distribute meeting notes as needed.
- Coordinate special projects, as requested.
- Greet and tour special guests to the lot.
- Coordinate presentation needs (art assets, designers) with outside vendors and Henson Company executives to find the most appropriate graphic solution for the intended audience. (Projects can include booklets, PowerPoint presentations, social media graphics, presentation boards, logos, brochures, one-sheets, invitations, advertisements, flyers, signs, illustrations, and unique and customized “leave-behind” objects and print materials.)
- Assist Consumer Products, Distribution, and Sales with prep of materials and promo items for industry markets (MIPCOM, Kidscreen, etc.)
- Identify artists and manage database of contacts for freelance logo designers, illustrators, conceptual designers, photographers, web developers, web builders, and layout artists: obtain estimates, monitor progress, establish project budgets, collect notes and feedback, and manage for successful completion.
- Organize and maintain estimates and billings for visual communications projects; keep projects on schedule, and on budget.
- Give final review of print-files for design and content errors before printing/publishing.
- Gather, distribute, manage, manipulate, and organize digital assets (layered artwork files, photography, etc.) from projects.
- Ensure that all publishable assets and media from final projects are transferred to Media Archivist for digital asset management and organization; add relevant final art to style guides.
- Transfer files from internal media archives via FTP or cloud storage for use by third party artists and designers.
- Perform basic artwork manipulation using Adobe Creative Suite (i.e. converting file types and color spaces, simplifying Photoshop layers, resizing, isolating elements and creating new files, etc.) create print-ready or web-ready files from finished designs. (Recognize the file needs for image requests and send out appropriate file formats and resolutions.)
- Route graphics for review from/to outside partners.
- Social Media and Website Support:
- Coordinate graphics and videos for social media campaigns and Henson property websites.
- Oversee edits to public websites and press websites (Henson.com, CreatureShop.com, HensonRecording.com, HensonSoundstage.com), looking for errors and glitches that appear and make recommendations to keep websites looking fresh
- Coordinate with IT on implementation and maintenance by outside web-publisher including discussions regarding technology, troubleshooting and feasibility and cost.
The ideal candidate is:
- Friendly, professional, and enthusiastic with an understanding and appreciation of marketing/PR, and the work of The Jim Henson Company.
- Positive, helpful and approachable, communicating and interacting well with people at all levels, from entry-level employees to Company executives, creative personalities, and talent.
- Exceptional with regards to communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to articulate ideas, problems, critical thinking, and rationale.
- Able to successfully balance traditional daily administrative duties with project-based Visual Communications initiatives.
- Creative with an understanding of visual literacy: identifying the nature of each art request, its intended audience, and what message is to be conveyed.
- Self-driven and able to operate independently, with initiative, follow-up, and a rollup-your-shirtsleeves-get-the-job-done attitude.
- Hard-working, and an extremely organized multi-tasker, comfortable working on a wide spectrum of projects simultaneously while paying meticulous attention to details.
- Excellent under pressure, with a “can-do” attitude and ability to meet tight deadlines, create a schedule and successfully manage to that schedule.
- Adept at and has a passion for solving hard problems with creative solutions.
- Fluent with Mac and PC platforms and has a desire to learn new software and technologies.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Minimum 2 years relevant work experience in busy office setting (assisting, handling heavy phone traffic, and scheduling requests)
- Some design experience required (freelance, in-house design department, or agency); areas of work may include branding, graphics, visual communications, etc. Experience should include simple image retouching and compositing with a basic understanding of print and screen resolutions and color spaces.
- Mac OSX, Basic Adobe Suite, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Basic video editing skills for social media assets.
- Working knowledge of printing process, prepress, and preparation highly desirable.
- X-acto skills and a steady hand for presentation creation preferred.
- Related work experience in Marketing, Public Relations, and/or Social Media preferred.
Please apply online by submitting documents to email@example.com:
- A one-page resume.
- A cover letter referencing the position for which you are applying, specifically stating reasons why you are interested in employment with The Jim Henson Company and why you feel you would be a good fit for this position and our company. Please cite past work experience that speak to your qualifications.
- Three relevant design samples along with a short statement defining the project and your personal role in each.
NO phone calls or faxes.
The Jim Henson Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.